Tuesday, August 16, 2011

a little bit of artsy...

I did art classes on a Tuesday afternoon all the way through junior school. I did art in grade 8 and 9 because I had to. I never thought I was much good, and I never really had much time to put in to trying many new things or styles. I was too much of a perfectionist and too scared to really try anything, because I was scared it wouldn't be good enough or as good as everyone else. So I never really did much with art.

Until this year... One afternoon, I was super emotional and frustrated, so I dug out some canvases, old paint and really old brushes, and painted. It wasn't bad for a first attempt on canvas, but nothing particularly amazing. It was a start.

First canvas paintings: 16 April 2011

27 May 2011
After that, I felt like I could actually try this whole art thing. What the heck, let's just give it a try. So I went and bought myself a little canvas, and painted a tree type thing, and did some other random things on pieces of cardboard I had around.

For the kids holiday club run at our church in Pinelands (PBC), the theme was Superheroes, so we decorated the walls with paintings of superheroes etc. I went along to help, and 4 hours later, I had painted this life-size Spider-man, much to my own surprise. I didn't think I'd actually be able to, but I did.

17 June 2011


For my birthday, I was given some proper paintbrushes, more paint and some canvases. Here's what I did with them:


21 July 2011
3 August 2011
6 August 2011
So I have very much surprised myself in what I can do when I just give it a try. I love the transition from abstract, to more impressionistic, to more realistic. It has been so much fun just sitting down, and painting, and seeing what turns out. It is a wonderful way to express myself, and create. After all, I am made in the image of the Creator God :)

No comments:

Post a Comment