Wednesday, January 25, 2012

a letter about 2012 onward...

Dear prayer partners – family and friends


If you’ve kept up with my update letters, you will have read about how I’ve felt God calling me to join staff here at YWAM Denver. It’s definitely been a long process and not a flippant decision at all. I’ve taken a lot of time to pray about this, and have definite words from God about it. He has confirmed it over and over again through different people, and I have such excitement and peace about this. It’ll be an exciting and scary new adventure! I don’t yet know how long I will be doing this, but I do feel God calling me to a life of ministry – in whatever capacity He reveals. For now, that’s at YWAM Denver, and I am going to dig into the inheritance God has for His people there, and go from there as He leads!

What will joining staff here at YWAM Denver look like and entail?
Each staff member is a volunteer, and so earns no income from YWAM. This means that we are living missionary style, with a group of people gathering around us and coming along side of what God is doing, joining with that through financial and prayer support. My expenses are looking to be around $600/month (R5000), and then a plane ticket there of about the same amount. For housing, I’m planning on sharing an apartment or house with 3-4 other ladies who are also on staff. I’m really looking forward to having a kitchen and space to really call my own (after living in community with just a bunk and a bit of closet space!). We’ll probably have a garden, which will be lovely too! Meals can still be eaten at the base for no extra cost, which is a huge blessing, but I’ll also be able to cook my own meals where necessary or preferred.

YWAM Denver works on a quarterly calendar, so every 3 months, a new quarter starts. This means a new group of students come in to do various schools, and staff responsibilities rotate. There are various departments that I could work in: hospitality, kitchen, maintenance, housekeeping, reception, outreach, worship, personnel and registrar to name a few. These are apart from or including working with a school. If I was to staff a school, I would then be a small group leader, which means I could have around 3-5 ladies that I would get to disciple/mentor during their 3 month school. Each week, I’d meet with them individually, and as a group. I would also attend some of the class lectures, participate in activities, as well as being involved in one or more of the other departments listed above. If I were to assist an outreach (which leave at the end of each quarter for about 7 weeks), I would find out a few weeks into the school, and this would mean that I would be assisting the person leading the outreach. On outreach, I would continue my discipler/mentor role for the students, and be a part of whatever ministry we do. At the end of outreach, I would also be involved in debriefing the students, and preparing them to go back home, or into whatever is next. I will also be investing in a local church, and involved with local community ministry and outreach, and I may also have the opportunity to teach at some stage.

Why do I want to do this?
First and foremost, because I feel like God has given me this option, and I want to be obedient. I feel very strongly that this is where God is calling me for the next part of my life – I don’t know how long for yet, but I know God is leading and guiding me. I also love what YWAM is and does, and want to be a part of what God is doing in and through this organisation all over the world. I have grown so much during my time at YWAM, and would love to be able to pour into others what has been poured into me. I have such a heart to see people set free from what has been holding them back, and to embrace the entirety of what God has for them. I feel like people have such a misconception of who God is and such a limited view of what He can do, and I love seeing others dig deeper and discover so much more about who He is, and allow Him to blow their minds and radically transform their lives. I long to see people come alive again, and truly live the abundant life God has available to them.

I think one of the reasons why I want to do this here, is because the students that come here want it. They come here to grow, to change, to seek out God. It’s virtually impossible to teach someone something if they don’t want to learn, or to try and make them understand their need. You can’t give someone something unless they really want it. YWAM is a place that facilitates that, allowing you to really dig in – to be broken and healed, and to discover what life with your Creator looks like. Yes, it’s short term, but such wonderful stuff can happen in just 3 months! And if done right, and in a Godly way, with much prayer, lives can be transformed in a way that they can never go back to the way things were.

Yes, I could do this anywhere, but God has said YWAM Denver next, so that’s what I’m doing. I applied to join staff towards the end of my last school, and got accepted.

How can you be involved?
Most of you have been with me on this journey from the beginning, when I did my DTS at the start of 2010, and I’m sure you can all confirm the amazing growth and work that God has done in and through me in the last 2 years. I would be honoured if you would prayerfully consider partnering with me on this next phase of my adventure as we build His Kingdom together. This could be through financially partnering with me, receiving update letters or praying for me and what God is doing. In partnering with God in this, I also commit to praying for you on a regular basis, as you continue in the ministry God has given you. If you'd like more information about this, please email me (janinepalser@gmail.com), or you can click the 'Donate' button on the left hand side of this blog to support financially through PayPal.

I’m planning to leave on February 6, since that is one of the few tickets available in February with frequent flyer miles, and there is a staff conference soon after which I need to attend. I have a couple of weeks left in Cape Town, so if you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to email me. I would like to have another tea after church, but with the change in services that may not happen.

Again, thank you so much for all your support over the last 2 years, and I look forward to partnering with you in the years to come!

In faith, hope and love
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment